The passing of National Professor Dr. Anisuzzaman on 14 May 2020 is an enormous loss of an engaged public intellectual and an eminent scholar. He was a Trustee of the Bengal Foundation and Chair of the Board of Editors of Kali O Kalam, an acclaimed Bengali literary journal. He was also a founding Trustee of the Gyantapas Abdur Razzaq Foundation, a premier institution of intellectual excellence.
Dr. Anisuzzaman has always been an inspiration to us, and he will forever be remembered for his moral leadership, and as a voice for democracy and social justice. His research and scholarship, intellectual rigour, and his literary and academic engagement had made him a revered figure in the region.
In June 2020, Bengal Foundation arranged an online three-part memorial meet celebrating the many facets of Dr. Anisuzzaman’s teachings, his interests and accomplishments. The first session, which looked at his scholarly research and role as an educator, is featured in this video.
Session 1: Scholarly research and role as an educator
• Dr. Ahrar Ahmed, Director-General, Gyantapas Abdur Razzaq Foundation
• Professor Gulam Mustafa, Department of Bengali, University of Chittagong
• Dr. Biswajit Ray, Department of Bengali, Visva-Bharati, Santiniketan
• Dr. Biswajit Ghosh, Vice-Chancellor, Rabindra University, Shahjadpur
• Dr. Debapriya Bhattacharya, Economist and Distinguished Fellow, CPD
• Dr. Pabitra Sarkar, former Vice-Chancellor, Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata
• Mr. Jamil Choudhury, Compiler and Editor of Bengali dictionary published by Bangla Academy
• Mr. Abul Khair, Chair, Bengal Foundation
Presenter: Ms. Luva Nahid Choudhury, Director-General, Bengal Foundation
The second session focusing on Dr. Anisuzzaman’s political conscience and involvement with rights movements, and the final session examining his contribution to the arts and literature, will be featured in upcoming videos.