The passing of National Professor Dr. Anisuzzaman on 14 May 2020 is an enormous loss of an engaged public intellectual and an eminent scholar. He was a Trustee of the Bengal Foundation and Chair of the Board of Editors of Kali O Kalam, an acclaimed Bengali literary journal. He was also a founding Trustee of the Gyantapas Abdur Razzaq Foundation, a premier institution of intellectual excellence.
Dr. Anisuzzaman has always been an inspiration to us, and he will forever be remembered for his moral leadership, and as a voice for democracy and social justice. His research and scholarship, intellectual rigour, and his literary and academic engagements, had made him a revered figure in the region.
Bengal Foundation arranged an online three-part memorial meet celebrating the many facets of Dr. Anisuzzaman’s teachings, his interests and accomplishments. The first of these sessions will have speakers discussing Dr. Anisuzzaman’s scholarly research and his role as an educator.The second session will focus on his political conscience and involvement with rights movements. The discussion at the final session, will examine his contribution to the arts and literature.
Session 2: Political conscience and involvement with rights movements
- MR. ABUL MOMEN – Poet and essayist
- MR. MOFIDUL HOQUE – Publisher, essayist and founder Trustee, Liberation War Museum
- ADVOCATE SULTANA KAMAL – Rights activist and former Advisor to Caretaker government
- MR. MAHFUZ ANAM – Editor and Publisher, The Daily Star
- PROF. ROUNAQ JAHAN – Political scientist and author
- MR. M. SYEDUZZAMAN – Author and former Minister for Finance
- DR. HAMEEDA HOSSAIN – Rights activist and researcher
- PROF. REHMAN SOBHAN – Thinker, economist, Chair of CPDMr. Abul Khair, Chair, Bengal Foundation, will welcome the participants.
Coordinator: Ms. Luva Nahid Choudhury, Director-General, Bengal Foundation